Why You Shouldn’t Use Rat Poison to Get Rid of Mice in the Home
Rat poison is regularly advertised as an effective solution for ridding the home of mice. Using it comes with unintended and dangerous consequences. Rat poison is ineffective for reasons outside of the fact that it’s filled with potent chemicals. Keep reading to find out why you shouldn’t use rat poison to get rid of mice, and what you should do instead.
Using rat poison around the home puts pets and young children at risk. Loose pellets could wind up in the hands of toddlers, who are attracted to the color and small size. These curious family members may get a little too close and personal to the poison, which could result in an unplanned trip to the hospital.
Pellets resemble food, and leaving these on the ground makes it easy for your wandering dog to enjoy an unplanned snack. Your pet cat might accidentally eat the mouse who’s already ingested the poison, leaving you to determine why they suddenly don’t feel well.
These accidental incidents aren’t worth the risk when other methods exist to get rid of mice in the home. Rat poison in the home creates unintended targets. Alternative options that reach the right audience exist.
Harmful to the Environment
Rat poison doesn’t end at rats, it can extend to third parties such as other animals, and children. If a hungry predator eats these victims, the predator is affected. Rodenticides ingested by mice and rats and stay in their body, and they’re harmful to more than those pesky pests. This poison transfers to unknowing predators.
Poison ingested by the pest buildups in the bodies of larger animals, which can eventually lead to death. Anticoagulants, one of the most common rodenticides, works by preventing blood from clotting. This causes internal hemorrhaging, which can persist in the animal for months, causing bigger problems. Drowsy animals become a target for roadkill. When these animals are mentally and physically slowed down, they don’t know where they’re going and could wind up being struck on the road.
Bobcats, foxes, coyotes, and hawks are likely third parties unintentionally killed on route after pests. Indirect contact is a problem, but poison has a direct side effect as well. Pellets left on the ground around the property could be scooped up by wandering wildlife. Overall, poison damages our ecosystem.
It Misses the Problem
Using rat poison to rid the home of mice doesn’t solve the problem of mice in the home. Even if it gets rid of the animal, it doesn’t remove the nest and droppings left behind, or fix the gaping holes in the foundation where mice found their way in. Mice can die somewhere in the home, leaving homeowners new bacteria to cleanup and prevent from spreading.
Rat poison doesn’t kill all mice in the home—only the ones who happen to eat it. Poison is a temporary fix that only gets rid of mice for a little bit. Don’t forget that mice have a rapid growing population. A more permanent solution is necessary to ensure all mice are gone.
The best solution is humane mouse removal services. Homeowners benefit from trained professionals who come in, inspect the problem, evict the mice, and put preventative measures in place so they don’t return. These services have an action plan that works to get every last mouse out. With decontamination processes in place, you can be sure your home won’t attract other mice, and it’ll be free of droppings and grease marks. Humane mouse removal services understand the importance of all animals in the ecosystem, making sure both parties are protected.
What evidence would there be of rodents on my property.
You would likely see burrows, droppings, holes, and/or runways. Burrows are holes in dirt or concrete from one to four inches wide, with smooth edges. They can be found under bushes and plants and along foundations or walls. Droppings are often found close to garbage; if they are moist and dark it is a sign that rats are active in the area. Holes and gnaw marks might be seen on plastic barrels. Runways are paths create by rats from constant back and forth movement that are dark, greasy track marks.
Who should I call if I have a rodent problem?
If you notice any evidence of rodent activity on your property, contact a professional exterminator to properly eradicate the issue. Exterminators can be found in the local phone book or online.
Who do I contact with concerns about rodents or sanitation issues on a private property?
Contact the Health Department at 508-697-0903
How can tenants help to prevent rodent problems?
It is the occupant's responsibility to use receptacles properly, to keep receptacles covered at all times, and to notify the property owner if the receptacle becomes cracked, broken, or loses its cover.
How can I prevent rats from becoming a problem on my property?
To control rats, you must remove everything they need to survive: food, water, shelter, and ways to get around. Good sanitation helps eliminate a food source. Store and deposit trash in receptacles properly. Eliminate breeding areas by keeping vegetation short and neat and don't allow debris to accumulate on your property.